Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Training during our Disneyland trip

We just got back from a four-day family trip to Disneyland last night, and I'm happy to report I was able to stay on schedule (mostly) with my triathlon training even though I was far from home.

In the past, I used to always use the "but I'm on vacation!" excuse to suspend any workout regimen. Not this time around, especially now that I'm within 10 weeks of the triathlon.

Per my training schedule (following Joe Friel's Your First Triathlon training plan), between Friday and Tuesday, I needed the following workouts: swim, bike, run, swim with an optional strength training to boot.

Here's how I made it happen:
  1. Before we drove to LA on Friday, I started the day (early) with my swim training
  2. Come Saturday evening, after the girls had gone to bed at the hotel, I hopped on the stationary bike in the hotel fitness center for my 30 min ride
  3. (Breaking from Friel's schedule a bit), I took Super Bowl Sunday off from training and instead got up early on Monday to run 20 min on the treadmill in the hotel fitness center
  4. This morning (Tuesday), I got up early, scraped the frost off my car's windshield and swam at sunrise, enjoying the steam rising from the pool into the 33 degree air.
And so my biggest fear of not maintaining training momentum while on vacation has proved unfounded, and all this while I'm nursing the same cold that's giving the rest of the family fits.

I guess I've scared myself into being prepared for this race!

No comments: