Thursday, January 24, 2008

goal achieved: 40 miles in 4 weeks

Today's workout marked the first run portion of my triathlon training regimen.



Happily, it also marked the completion of a goal I set on January 1 via Nikeplus: to run 40 miles in four weeks. My covering 2.5 miles in 22 minutes at dawn, pushed me over the top a good four days early!

When setting the goal, I imagined I'd spread it out evenly at three runs per week at ten miles per week over four weeks. What actually happened was much more uneven, and took twelve runs to accomplish.
  • Week 1: 11.73 miles over four runs
  • Week 2: 8.65 miles over three runs
  • Week 3: 14.13 miles over three runs
  • Week 4: 2.52 miles in a single run


While I'd love to set another mileage-based goal, if I'm to follow the triathlon training program, I should instead set a time-based goal. Unfortunately, the Nikeplus site's goal-setting widget doesn't do time. It does distance, frequency, calorie burn and pace.

I suppose I could plug in the frequency goal to match my training plan, but that feels rather hollow. Maybe I'll just enjoy the boost from hitting this intermediate goal and keep my sights set on April 13.

Oh, by the way: I'm really enjoying the diversity of activities in working out for the triathlon. What I'm not quite enjoying is the soreness and tired feeling I've got. I have a feeling it's not due to the workouts, but rather to the crazy schedule I've been keeping this week (and the lack of sleep).

No comments: