Saturday, September 6, 2008

finish season with an olympic distance tri?

I'm feeling good about my training for the Rock n Roll San Jose Half Marathon next month, but I have to admit the run-run-run training schedule is rather monotonous compared to the multi-disciplinary approach to triathlons. On top of that, I can sense a certain degree of complacency already (overconfidence?) about my being able to finish the distance, so I'm finding my motivation is lagging these days.

I feel like I need a bigger challenge that's closer in than next year's Vineman Ironman 70.3, so I'm seriously considering signing up for the San Francisco Triathlon at Treasure Island which takes place on November 8.

It's an olympic distance tri (1.5km swim, 40km bike, 10k run), so it would be my longest race ever, unless I completely blow up on the half marathon.

I've done all the sport distances in isolation many times, so it'd be a matter of stringing it all together in one long event. Yes, I'd be racing to finish, not to place.

And it seems a more fitting end to this first season of fitness to end with a triathlon instead of a half marathon.

I think I've just talked myself into it... now to double-check I've got the training time before plunking down the $150 reg fee. Will post later to let you know I've done it.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Well, I vote for the SF tri! I'd love to read your race report. Do it, do it, do it!!